We’ve always been fans of a good lentil salad. The main ingredient is low in calories, rich in iron and folate and an excellent source of protein. They also pack health-promoting polyphenols and may reduce several heart disease risk factors. All good things!
Until I discovered lentils fully cooked in a vacuum-packed pouch at Trader Joe’s there’s no way I would have made them myself. They can take upwards of 30 minutes to prepare and these are ready in less than five minutes.
Now that I have this option, I love to mix them up with a few other healthy ingredients. I keep a lentil salad in the fridge for the week as a mid-day snack, side dish for dinner, or to add a lil sum sum to a bed of arugula.
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s steamed lentils
- 1 large hothouse cucumber, finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Cracked pepper
- Lemon vinaigrette dressing
- Pour package of lentils into a bowl. Set aside.
- Dice 1 large hothouse cucumber. Add to lentils.
- Dice 1/2 red onion. Add to bowl with lentils and cucumber.
- Chop 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley. Add to bowl with lentils, red onion, and cucumber.
- Add pink Himalayan salt and cracked pepper.
- Combine ingredients for Lemon Vinaigrette dressing
- Drizzle Lemon Vinaigrette dressing over the ingredients.
- Mix ingredients and dressing together using a wooden spatula, lightly so as not to smash the lentils.
- Chill for 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Serve at your leisure.
Recovering fashion blogger and Founder of NYC-based creative consultancy, Hashtag Lifestyle.