Try these spicy tuna sashimi bites as an appetizer for a fancy dinner, or as party food when you’re really looking to impress someone. It’s an easy recipe to pull out for something fancy that doesn’t eat up a lot of your time.
You’re going to need sushi grade tuna for this one, because the fish is raw – and all the other usual precautions about raw fish do apply. It wasn’t as hard as you would think to get this special tuna. Pierless Fish in Brooklyn delivered right to my door. They have a trio box with sushi-grade salmon, tuna, and whitefish.
The best part is that these spicy tuna sashimi bites are as tasty as the roll they are named for but these are mayo-free and not as carb-heavy. You and your guests will love these as a lite-bites!
- 1/2 lb sashimi grade tuna
- 1 ½ tb sriracha
- ½ tb chili oil
- ½ tb sesame oil
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- Cucumber, sliced into coins
- Slice tuna into cubes
- Add tuna to mixing bowl
- Pour sriracha, chili oil, and sesame oil into mixing bowl over tuna. Toss.
- Marinate in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Chop two scallions into thin diagonal pieces. Set aside.
- Slice cucumber into coins. Set aside.
- Thinly slice 1/2 avocado.Set aside.
- Place cucumber slices on a tray or plate. Layer on avocado then marinated tuna over each cucumber slice.
- Sprinkle scallions then sesame seeds over entire tray.
Recovering fashion blogger and Founder of NYC-based creative consultancy, Hashtag Lifestyle.