You will never have to twist my arm to have Mexican food. I want it for every meal. Usually I make breakfast tacos but I felt inspired to make something a little extra with the Siete tortillas and Violife cheese. That’s when a Breakfast Quesadilla came to mind.
While the products I mentioned are gluten and dairy free, I’m not a vegan nor do I have an allergy. I just prefer to make healthy swaps. This recipe calls for eggs which are animal-based. They can easily be replaced with an egg substitute.
Soft scramble your choice of eggs, crisp up some bacon (also optional), and add chipotle peppers, vegan cheese, and spinach, stuffed into grain-free tortillas and cooked until golden, crisp, and oh so perfect. Top your Breakfast Quesadilla with salsa rojo and guac and you’ll have yourself a complete breakfast.
Bonus? These quesadillas are perfect for storing in the freezer to have on hand for busy mornings.
- 2 large eggs
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan Earth Balance soy free butter at room temperature
- 1 can (4 ounce) diced green chiles
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
- 2 Siete Grain-Free Almond Flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup Violife vegan shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked crispy bacon, lightly crumbled
- 1-2 cups baby spinach or arugula
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- Whisk together the eggs and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon vegan butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, undisturbed, until a thin layer of cooked egg appears around the edge of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula gently push/move the eggs around the skillet until fluffy and barely set, about 2 minutes. Immediately remove from the skillet.
- In a small bowl, combine the green chiles and chipotle peppers.
- Lay a tortilla flat on a clean counter. On the top of the tortilla, evenly layer the cheese, eggs, bacon, and green/chipotle peppers. Add a handful of greens (spinach, arugula, etc) on top. Then lay the remaining tortilla on top.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, place the quesadillas, one at a time, in the skillet and cook until golden on each side, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Serve topped with guacamole.
Recovering fashion blogger and Founder of NYC-based creative consultancy, Hashtag Lifestyle.