In the midst of a worldwide pandemic, many Americans are making a mass exodus out of big cities and they have a big question on their mind, “where do I go next?!” …aside from their parent’s house.
This looming question brought us to seek out an astrological tool called Astrocartography (aka relocation astrology). It is one of several methods of locational astrology, which claims to identify various facets of life (think career, money, love, community) through differences in location. This is done by placing your personal natal birth chart on a map of the world.
Wild concept, right?
I’m of the mindset if you can work remotely why invest in an expensive apartment when there are larger, more affordable accommodations in a b-market? Think Boulder, Nashville, Charlotte. This is top of mind for many Manhattanites and big-city dwellers.
Though some can’t just up and move.
The thought of more space for your buck is amazing but binding leases and non-existent savings accounts are very real reasons it’s impossible.
Two other ways to bring the energy of astrocartography into your space when you can’t move: decor and ROAD TRIPS! Book an Airbnb, pack a bag, and GTFO of the city.
I spoke with Steffi Hill, also known as the Spirit Sis, on the podcast about using relocation astrology right now to plan your pandemic road trip, big move, and even decor on the podcast. While she is a jane of all spiritual trades (psychic medium, intuitive energy healer, human design expert) she really knows her stuff when it comes to astrocartography.
Before you <listen to the podcast>, here is a primer on the modality and how you can start incorporating it into your practice.
Astrocartography is a particular modality of astrology that was developed and popularized by American astrologer Jim Lewis in the 70s. This sect focuses on using your natal chart information (exact date, time, and location of your birth) to create a personalized map that shows the places in the world where planets were “angular” (rising, setting, on the zenith or nadir) on your birthday thus plotting the energetic influences that specifically apply in specific regions. These relocation astrology maps are used by ‘astro-cartographers’ to counsel people on the best places to live, travel, find love, or even have the best career prospects. On the flip side, it can tell you where to avoid.
If you pull up your individualized astrocartography map (which you can do on astro.com’s AstroClick Travel feature or through a professional astrologer, like Spirit Sis), you’ll see what seems like a bajillion lines curving across the map in a variety of colors with some larger circles (zeniths). Each is related to a planet and its position in the sky when you were born.
For example the planet Venus symbolically represents love so you’d want to look to that line for relationship information. Though as Spirit Sis taught me just because Venus is running through a location if that particular planet isn’t strong for you you may have to look deeper into the conjunctions it’s making to form stronger energy. It’s not so cut and dry which is why I was intent on tapping a professional for guidance.
Once you actually learn how the map lines and angles of certain locations effect you the world really will become your oyster.
Meanings of Astrocartography Map Lines + Angles
If you do decide to DIY and run your relocation astrology chart here is a quick overview of the energetic effect each planetary line:
- Sun: If you are looking for a confidence boost, this is the place. On a sun line, you will be feelin’ yourself and so will everyone else. The superlative that you would be crowned is Miss Popularity and you might even find fame and celeb status here.
- Moon: This planetary body is an emotional one. A place where you can take your mask off and be your most vulnerable self.
- Mercury: You might associate this planet with the retrogrades that happen throughout the year that screw with your email or make exes come back into your life. That is because Mercury is the planet of communication, transportation, and technology. On this line, the spotlight will be on self-expression, intellectual pursuits like studies or novel writing, and travel. This line, much like Switzerland, is considered neutral.
- Venus: Looking for love in all the wrong places? The planet of romance rules this line and may give you a hint on where you’ll find your best Love and marriage relationships. It also rules beauty and money so expect to feel extra attractive and abundant in these areas.
- Mars: This planet is typically masculine and rules things within that energy like athletics, assertiveness, and sex. On one hand, living under this line can lead to a passion-filled life but it can also be hard because you may feel combative (i.e. fighting off unwanted attention) towards other people.
- Jupiter: The largest planet in the solar system doubles everything it touches in the best possible way especially when it comes to success, wealth, and socializing. Under this line, someone could become a figure in the community, and more than they ever thought possible. This is a very lucky place to spend your life.
- Saturn: This is a tougher one to live on. You will have to work 10x harder here to get what you want and everything will take longer. The silver lining is the epiphanies you will inevitably take away from the experience.
- Uranus: There is electrifying energy that will run through your body when spending time on this line. It’s not always as fun as it sounds as this feeling can lead to a sense of anxiety. Here you might feel like you’re constantly trying to free yourself from restrictions which can also manifest into pushing your inner rebel out to search for “freedom”.
- Neptune: Living here can feel like a lucid state. You can never quite feel grounded. Your imagination might run wild here but beware of what is real and what is fantasy. Also, beware of addictive behaviors popping up.
- Pluto: One of the tougher planetary influences to live with. A lot of heavy issues come to the foreground here. This line is the dark before the dawn. Intense upheaval, isolation, and deep pain can surface all with the potential for making an enormous amount of strides in your spiritual growth.
There are four lines used in Astrocartography and they are referred to as the cardinal points. When you pair these angles with your planetary lines you’ll get an interesting sense of what lessons or energies you might experience in a particular part of the globe.
- Rising or Ascendant (AC): Your rising line is associated with your outward personality, the way you appear to others out and about in the world. You’ll identify with the energy of whichever planet(s) was coziest to your ascendant at the time of your birth.
- The Descendant (DC): The descendant line speaks to your relationships with others.
- The Imuni Coeli (IC): The IC line is associated with your origins, your home, your family, security, and how that foundation influences your identity. It has a reflective influence.
- The Medi-Coeli/Midheaven (MC): The MC line reflects social standing, public reputation, who we are—or aspire to be—at our peak level of success.
Use Relocation Astrology to Move – Literally and Figuratively
Now you know how this all started and you can probably even pull up your map it’s time to make some decisions! In this case, we’re trying to figure out where you will adventure to or live next but to be clear, you don’t actually HAVE to be moving or traveling. You just might want to bring in some new energy into the space you’ve been quarantined in.
Bring your map up and take a little time to think about where you might want to travel to or live. Cross-check the energy in those areas by clicking on them. A pop up comes up with insight as to what it will feel like there. Be sure to include the harmonious and disharmonious lines. Zoom in to places you have been that you’ve loved to see if the info resonates with previous experiences.
If you are intrigued by this but you can’t move at this moment bring the energy from the places that serve you through artwork, furnishings, music, and colors.
For example, if there is a Venus AC line in Morocco -you’re clearly not traveling or moving there in 2020 – kick up your socially distant connections and cultivate your self-love while in isolation by getting a Moroccan rug, pillows, or a tagine to cook with.
There are so many incredible ways to bring energy in from locations around the world if you think outside the box.
The Bottom Line
You’re still you, wherever you go. Relocation astrology is not a magic bullet. It’s simply a way to key into the energies of a given location, which might influence you in a particular, preferable way. You will still need to make the effort to change or accept new opportunities that cross your path. By understanding and applying astrocartography, you might be able to better understand yourself—and find the best place to spend your next life chapter.
Recovering fashion blogger and Founder of NYC-based creative consultancy, Hashtag Lifestyle.