Arugula, also known by other names such as rocket and rucola, has an aromatic, peppery flavor that adds a wonderful dimension to salads, your health and maybe even your sex life. (Wild arugula has been used as an aphrodisiac since the first century.)
The leafy green is is full of antioxidants — compounds that can protect against or reverse damage to your cells. It packs in a ton of vitamins and minerals including: Calcium, Iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Potassium, and Magnesium.
Arugula looks similar to and is used much like lettuce, but it actually is a cruciferous vegetable, so nutritionally it is more akin to broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts. Cruciferous vegetables are an awesome way to add fiber into your diet which is so essential for proper digestion.
Wild arugula is my top favorite salad green for both its nutrition value and taste! I put it on everything including pizza, pasta, and eggs. My normal dressing is a just little lemon, evoo, and salt. When I had the wild arugula salad from Tartine Restaurant, a little bistro in NYC’s West Village, I knew I had to recreate it for my French-themed dinner party. It was more intricate than I was used to but still as simple and savory.
- Bag of wild arugula
- 1 – 11 oz. goat cheese log
- 1/2 c. chopped herbs, i.e. parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, chives
- 1 tbsp. coarsely-ground, fresh-cracked pepper
- 1/2 cup of fresh shaved fennel
- 1 cup container of grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Shaved Parmesan Reggiano
- Set refrigerated goat cheese out for 1hr+. When it is room temp, slice into coins, press the flat side into a mixture of chopped herbs and fresh-cracked pepper. Set aside.
- Slice the fennel bulb in half from stem to root. Then slice those halves in half from stem to tip so you end up with 4 wedges. Use a mandolin slicer to shave the wedges as thin as possible. Set aside.
- Slice grape tomatoes in half vertically. Set aside.
- Place wild arugula in a large bowl
- Combine ingredients for liquid gold salad dressing.
- Drizzle with liquid gold salad dressing and toss to combine.
- Top salad with shaved fennel, grape tomatoes, shaved Parmesan. Lightly toss.
- Add 5-6 goat cheese coins to salad.
Recovering fashion blogger and Founder of NYC-based creative consultancy, Hashtag Lifestyle.